Sunday, May 26, 2013

The People Behind the Music


A lot of people get up every morning and go to work and hate it. Other people look at their job as just a form of income. I personally would hate that. In high school around career day the teacher would have us go through a career test to help us figure out what we should be once we grow up. This test was based off your likes, dislikes, strengths, and weaknesses. You would be amazed how many people need to sit down and take this same test in their adult years. It will kill me to work for just a stinky old paycheck. The Music industry is an industry that you would have to love to get in. To stay in it for years you would have to freaking love it. Is there a career test out there to tell you if you could make it in the music industry? NO!
That’s what makes it exciting. You just never know. I will say there are lots of positions in the industry beyond just being the artist that one can consider. Lets take at some position out there for the person that wants be involved but cant sing or dance.

Artist Management is a great position to consider. This position that manages, maintain, and guides the artist through their career. You can live hopelessly through your artist.

AR representative is also pretty huge. This person normally works for a major record label. They scope out the world for new talent. This person gets to discover the next Prince or Michael Jackson.

Creative director this person is literally a visual artist. They come up with creative concepts for the artist. These are the brand builders. They create the image, attitude and persona of the artist at hand.

I love this industry so much I could go on an on. But you get the point. You do not have to be the singer or dancer just to get in this industry. In all actuality the people behind the music get paid more that the ones in front of the camera. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! When I tell people I don't like working on the business side of music, they don't understand, when I tell them I rather be broke and happy, then rich and miserable they just do not get it at all. When working on the business side of the industry you really have to love it with a passion.

    Being an artist I love everything that comes with it the good and the bad, the bad teaches me things that I need to learn as an artist and as a person.

    As far as working on the business side, the only way to find out if its for you or not, you will truly have to experience it hands on. Being in school studying music business, at first I just wanted to learn more about the business, but then I wanted to work on the business side, well after working on the business side, I've learned that it is not for me, it bores me, it's not my passion whatsoever.
    And no a career test wouldn't have not showed me that it's not for me. Thank you for this post!

    - Michelle W

    ReplyDelete