Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Guilty Pleasure


Reality TV Americas Guilty Pleasure

My first encounter with reality TV and music would be TheAshlee Simpson Show. This show was a hit in 2005 on MTV. I as well as plenty of other people in America watched her career transform before our eyes. The reality show allowed us to see all the aspects of it too. The ups and downs of the career, business and personal side were presented to the public. Ashlee went on to make many hits. Shadow, la la, Invisible and one of my favorites Pieces of me were huge hits in 2004. The Ashlee Simpson show was one the first to combine music and reality television. To take that even further her career was pretty successful too.  At that time having America watch you might not have been a bad idea. Times sure have changed.
  Now there are way more out there. We had Making the bad and plenty to follow. To start out these shows were not a bad career move. Now, artist resort to these to help they careers progress. Brandy, The game, DMX, Chill, Left Eye, RNB Divas, Toni Braxton are to name a few. I am pretty sure the list continues. To add fuel to the fire shows like Love and Hip Hop have turned for the worst. I will say America watches but how does it help an artist career?
            If you’re out to entertain and make money or spread the word, shows like that are worth it. But if your trying to build a solid sound career these shows with what they have become now are a big NO Go.  The focus is more on the drama than the music. I wouldn’t advise this to any artist I work with that is really serious about their music career. I again will admit I love watching these shows! They just do nothing for a solid music career look at the Making the band crew now.

No comments:

Post a Comment